In this lesson, we’ll practise making conversation at a work dinner.
Here are some conversation starters from EnglishClub.com to help you create conversation.
See if you can use some of these when we chat at the beginning of your lesson.
You'll need to book a lesson.
You’ll receive an activity sheet after the lesson to help review and summarize the lesson. [To type on PDFs: 1) download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free), 2) Tools -> Fill & Sign]
A - Topics for small talk
1. a) the weather
b) shared interests
c) the restaurant décor
d) the news
f) work colleagues
2. Own answers
3. Own answers
B - Phrases to make small talk
- So, what are you thinking of ordering?
- Nice restaurant, isn’t it?
- Did you hear the news last night about … ?
- Have you completed that report for Bob yet?
- Have you heard about Jason? Apparently he’s ….
- Speaking of paintings, ...
- Speaking of which, ...
c) By the way, ...
It’s time to practise our writing.
Imagine you are at a work dinner with colleagues.
Write a short dialogue of a conversation between you and your colleagues.
Email this to me and I'll give you some feedback on it at the start of your next lesson.